PROTECT YOUR PETS!!!!There is a popular landscaping plant called the sago palm (Cycas revoluta). It is commonly used as a houseplant because of its beauty and slow growth. This plant is highly poisonous to both pets and humans. A chemical in the plant called cycasin is toxic and often causes permanent liver damage as well as neurological damage if enough of the poison is absorbed by the body. The seeds are the most poisonous part of the plant and the effects on humans are seizures, coma, and death. This plant has been responsible for poisons to several children under the age of 5 in Florida since 2009.
Over the last 10 years, the nation’s largest animal cruelty prevention (ASPCA)organization says that more than 1400 dogs have been poisoned by sago palm plants and 34 have died. Shockingly there are no federal agencies responsible for warning pet owners about this plant. It is solely at the discretion of the stores selling them to warn you. Beware, some stores carry a warning label on the plant while others do not.
Signs of Sago Palm Toxicity in Dogs:
|Refusal to eat||Weakness||
|Bloody diarrhea or black, tarry stool||Bruises||
|Fluid accumulation in the abdomen||Yellow skin, gums, or whites of the eyes||